As everybody knows, potatoes grow under the ground, and that is because they thrive in darkness. The main stem of the potato plant grows above the ground and produces non-edible flowers. Potatoes can grow in any climate since they are very adaptable, but it is important to grow the potato in soil that is not too frosty as they prefer cool weather.
Potatoes are a good source of fiber, and it is very easy to grow potatoes. You need to know a few right planting approaches for your yard, and you will be able to know about potatoes how to grow. You will learn everything you should know before growing the potatoes. For best results, plant the potatoes in light, loose, well-drained soil, and the potato patch should be weed-free.
Know-How to Plant Potatoes
To know everything about how to plant potatoes by knowing the following tips:
Cutting Potatoes Before Planting
It is important to place your seed potatoes in a place for a week where there is plenty of light, and the temperature should be around 60-70 degrees F. This will help in the sprouting process. A day or two before planting this seed potato, you have to cut it into three or four pieces. Each piece should be 2 inches square and should include one or two buds.
Watering is very important for each plant, and you need to be extra caring during summers. For the best potatoes to grow, you have to keep your potato vines well-watered. Especially during the flowering stage, the plants are creating their tubers. Therefore, they need a steady water supply. You have to stop watering the plant when the foliage turns yellow and begins to die. This will prepare the plant for harvest.
You can easily store your potatoes. The place should be ventilated, dark, and cool; the temperature in the area should be around 35 and 40 degrees F. The storage of potatoes depends on the type of potato. For example, Red Gold and Rose Gold types of potato are used in the fall, while Carola and Russets type of potatoes are exceptional keepers.
You can harvest small potatoes after 2-3 weeks. When the plant finishes its flowering stage, smoothly dig around the plants to remove potatoes. If a few plants are not grown fully, do not touch that. Keep them as it is for another few days to let them grow properly. Also, home-grown potatoes are best, and you should take them out when you want to eat them.
If you are planning to store potatoes, do not take them out until 2-3 weeks after the foliage dies. You can use a sturdy fork to take potatoes out from the soil. Also, remember to keep potatoes in the field, unwashed for two or three days if the weather is too dry.
How To Grow Potatoes
Wondering about potato how to grow! Here are some best planting methods for potatoes how to plant as below:
How To Grow Potatoes- Hilled Rows Method
It is the best proven, simple, and cheapest method of planting potatoes. By this method, you do not need to buy or build anything, and also, there is no need for the transportation of soil. It is a method generally used by farmers because of this method. You can grow potatoes in a very large amount. The Hilled Rows method requires only the quality of the soil. If the soil has badly compact dirt or the soil is low in organic matter, this method will not be the best option for you.
- The first step in potato how to plant is to prepare the soil. Now, you have to dig the soil straight and shallow trenches, which should be 2 to 3 feet ap
- Plant the seed potatoes in the soil 12 inches apart, and after that, you have to cover the seed potato with about 3 inches of soil. The planting process is now done. Wait until the shoots grow out.
- When the shoots are about 10 to 12 inches tall, you have to scoop soil from between rows. You can use either a hoe or shovel for scooping the soil.
- Mound the soil while scooping against the plant and bury the potato stems halfway. There may be a need to repeat the scoping process through the growing season to keep the potatoes covered.
How To Grow Potatoes- Straw Mulch Method
This method of potato how to plant needs the least digging. You can harvest potatoes effortlessly with a very little digging. The primary benefit of this method is that the thick mulch helps in the conservation of soil moisture and also smothers weeds. However, you can’t produce a large number of potatoes in one go, but if you are growing potatoes for your house, there is no drawback of using the straw mulch method.
- To begin with, prepare the soil for growing the best quality of potatoes. Now, put seed potatoes on the surface of the prepared soil, and seed potatoes should be 2 to 3 feet apart.
- You should cover the seed potatoes with 3 or 4 inches of loose and seed-free straw. Now, you have to wait till the stems grow.
- Once stems are growing, you need to mound more straw around them.
- In the end, you will create a layer of one foot or more in-depth.
Potato How to Grow- Raised Beds Method
It is the biggest yield for potatoes. With this method, you will get potatoes in uniformly large sizes. It is a perfect choice for the garden where the soil is heavy and poorly drained.
- Prepare the soil and lose it in the bottom of a half-filled raised bed.
- Now, place seed potatoes 3 inches deep in the soil with at least 12 inches apart in all directions. Wait till the potatoes grow.
- When the potatoes start growing, you have to add more soil to the bed until it is filled.
- If there is a need, you can also simply harvest by removing the sides.
How to Plant Potatoes-Wood Boxes Method
This method is another nice strategy to grow potatoes in your garden and surely is best for DIY users. You can even use this method for the ground where the soil is of poor quality and still get potatoes that grow from them in good condition. However, you need to put a lot of time and effort into making the boxes.
- The first step for the process is to build or buy a bottomless square box.
- Now, place seed potatoes 3 inches deep in the soil. The seed potatoes should be 12 inches apart.
- Add more soil when needed.
How to Plant Potatoes- Wire Cylinders Method
This method is best for wet yards and is easy to perform. It gives excellent drainage and prevents the soil from getting waterlogged. You can also use this technique when the soil condition is poor. This method provides you with good-quality potatoes, but you have to remember that your soil does not lack adequate moisture.
- Prepare the soil and use hardware cloth with ¼-inch mesh.
- Take a cylinder that is about 18 inches in diameter and 24 inches tall and place several inches of soil in the bottom.
- Now, put three or four seed potatoes in the cylinder and cover them by putting more soil on them. The soil on the seed potatoes should be a minimum of 3-inches thick. Wait until potatoes start growing.
- When the potatoes start to grow, you need to put more soil in the cylinder.
- When you have to harvest these potatoes, all you have to do is lift the cylinder and pull the soil back.
How to Plant Potatoes- Grow Bags Method
It is amongst the easiest ways to harvest potatoes. You can use this method where the soil lacks nutrients. Also, bags last for several growing seasons, which makes them convenient to use. When you use a dark-color bag, it captures solar heat to speed up the growth of potatoes. In addition, these bags occupy a small space. However, you need to spend a few extra bucks for the bag as they are made with heavy, dense polypropylene.
- The first is to put a soil-compost mixture in the bottom of a bag of a few inches.
- Place three or four seed potatoes on the soil and cover it with another 3 inches of soil. Wait till the potatoes start growing.
- Continuously add soil to the bag after the growth of potatoes until the bag is full.
- When you have to harvest, all you need to do is to turn the bag on its side and remove the contents.
The time that a potato requires to grow fully depends on the type of potato you are growing. The minimum number of days a potato will take to grow is 70 days, but it could also take 100 days. Potatoes are a very beneficial fiber that helps in the prevention of heart diseases. It keeps cholesterol and blood sugar levels in check and is also full of antioxidants. The above article discusses how to plant potatoes in detail. Moreover, you can grow potatoes anywhere because they do well in all types of soil, but there is a need for sunny space to grow them.
For more information on home improvement, visit HouseDecorationTip.