While you take a shower to get yourself clean, your shower curtain is getting equally dirty. Not only soap scum and dust make your shower curtain dirty but there is mildew and mold also. Heat and moisture produce conditions that allow mold and mildew to thrive on your shower curtain. It is important for your hygiene to know how to clean shower curtains. Cleaning them properly not only adds life to these curtains but also brings a healthy and fresh environment to your bathroom.
After researching for hours I have come up with different ways on how to clean shower curtains in an easy and less time-consuming way. I have summarized different techniques efficiently. However, Before continuing how to wash a shower curtain on, you first need some cleaning tools to make your task simple.
Things to Know
Before getting started on how to wash a shower curtain, you must have few things handy. Here is a quick sneak peek at the list of items you need while washing your shower curtains:
- Laundry detergent to get clean shower curtains
- Color-safe bleach for colored shower curtains
- ½ cup of baking soda for removing stains
- ½ cup of white vinegar for removing stains
- Washing machine if you don’t want to hand wash shower curtains
How to Clean a Shower Curtain
Cleaning shower curtains might be confusing making you wonder if they should be hand washed or washed in a machine? Also, Getting stains out of them sometimes becomes a tough job. What kind of bleach should you use? Questions like this often frustrate you and you end up buying new shower curtains. However, you can choose to clean your old curtains. Also cleaning shower curtains is easy and doable for any of you. It is neither a tiresome task nor will cost you much money.
1. How to Clean a Shower Curtain Using Washing Machine
According to Merry Maids, Plastic and vinyl shower curtains can be washed in a washer by tossing them directly into the washing machine. If your shower curtain is heavily stained then take stains off from the shower curtains right before putting them into the washer. Using regular clothes detergent will work fine, however you can also include a ¼ cup to ½ cup of color-safe bleach. It will help you to deep clean your shower curtains. For white liners, regular bleach will also work fine. Here is a quick read for you on how to machine clean your shower curtains:
- Detach your shower curtains or shower linings from the shower curtain rings if curtains have a label that says it is machine washable.
- Put one or two clean, white towels with these shower curtains in a washing machine which will scrub the curtains and help to keep these curtains wrinkle-free.
- Take half a cup of baking soda with the normal amount of gentle laundry detergents and pour the mixture into the machine.
- Switch on the washing machine with warm and normal cycle mode.
- The machine should be stopped after the rinse cycle. The spin cycle is not necessary when shower curtains or liners are machines washed.
- Give it a shake and then again attach these curtains to shower curtain rings and let them dry by hanging them back up on the curtain rod.
You should take out the shower curtains from the machine soon after the wash cycle ends and should avoid keeping them soaked. This prevents wrinkles or musty smells from happening in the shower curtains.
Tips: If you want to dry your shower curtains faster, You should pat them down with the help of a dry towel. A dry towel soaks up the extra moisture. After patting the curtain, you must now hang them on the curtain rod.
Also, not every shower curtain needs to dry all by itself, few shower curtains need to tumble dry and be ironed after machine wash. Check instructions given in the package for better results.
2. How to Wash Shower Curtains Having Deep Stains
If your shower curtains have stains that will not come easily, You have few options available to remove mildew or mold from them. The American Cleaning Institute (ACI) recommends using liquid bleach to remove it. I have an easy process to deal with shower curtain stains. Removing difficult stains from the shower curtain will get easy by using any of the two alternative methods. Both are easy and simple ways. Choose the one that suits well to your needs.
To clean those shower curtains that have lighter stains, you can use this method. Put two white clean towels along with the shower curtains in the washing machine. Now add 1/2 cup laundry detergent and 1/2 cup baking soda mixture and also a cup of vinegar to the machine. Then start the rinse cycle. After the rinse cycle is completed, let them air-dry by hanging the curtain and liner.
For the more stubborn stains, I recommend using this method. Put two white clean towels; add 1/2 cup chlorine bleach and 1/4 cup mild laundry detergent mixture to the washing machine but remember to use the beach only to wash white or transparent shower curtains. Rinse the curtain well and you are all good to take them out of the machine and let them air dry.
For heavy stains, you can also choose to keep the shower curtain soaked in warm water mixed with bleach for 20- 30 minutes. If it does not work, apply baking soda or a commercial stain remover to the affected area of the shower curtain and scrub it with your hands. You can use a sponge, washcloth, or scrub brush to scrub the curtain. You must continue until the mold and mildew come off the curtain. However, Keep the scrubbing mild and don’t damage the fabric of the curtain.
Tips: If you don’t want your shower curtains to drip on your washroom floor, Tuck or prop the curtain into your tub or shower. With this idea you can avoid staining of the shower curtain and hence washing will become easy for you.
The ACI also recommends applying cleaning spray after every shower to the curtain to prevent any mold or mildew production. Following the above-mentioned tips, you can clean a shower curtain with not much effort.
3. How to Clean Shower Curtains by Hand
Washing the shower curtain by hand is the most optimal and risk-free task. You need to follow these simple easy steps to get all your work done:
- Firstly, sprinkle the baking soda on the damp shower curtain.
- Secondly, Scrub the entire shower curtain using a brush that has soft bristles.
- Thirdly, Rinse the shower curtain with a damp cloth to get all the baking soda off the curtain.
- Lastly, If the curtain has stubborn stains then you should repeat the process until you get rid of the stains.
Tips: If machine washing is not an option and hand washing is your choice then you must use gloves while cleaning shower curtains. Using detergents or bleach directly with your hands may damage your hands. You should apply a moisturizer to your hands soon after getting clean shower curtains.
4. How to Clean Shower Rings
Cleaning only shower curtains will not suffice your job, It is equally important to timely clean shower rings. Hence my guide on how to clean shower curtains covers the cleaning of the shower curtains as well. Here are five simple steps to clean shower rings:
- First things first, you must remove rings from the shower curtain rod.
- Now fill the bathroom sink with warm water by using a sink stopper.
- Add a half cup of distilled vinegar to the warm water in the sink.
- You must now soak the rings in the warm water while curtains are in the washing machine. Any stubborn stain or soap scum residue can be removed by scrubbing it with a brush.
- Drain the water from the sink and then rinse the shower rings with clean water.
Key Points to Maintain Your Shower Curtains
It is good to know how to wash the shower curtain but it is better to prevent mildew from happening in the first place. Here are some simple steps that will help you maintain the shower curtains:
- You must wash shower curtains at least once in a season. However, if there is poor ventilation in the washroom, then you should increase the frequency of cleaning.
- If you don’t want much of the molds and mildew on your shower curtains, make a shower curtain spray. Mix a solution of half water and half vinegar and put it in a spray bottle. All you need to do is to spray the solution on shower curtains daily to avoid thriving of any mold or mildew around.
- You should scrub the shower curtains gently so that shower curtains need not to be replaced frequently. Replace them with the new shower curtains when they get torn.
Having a dirty shower curtain will keep you away from feeling completely clean. You do not need to throw away your shower curtains when you can clean them easily. Cleaning them with the method that I have mentioned above will both save your money and time during those occasional house cleaning projects. Knowing how to clean shower curtains is an important skill that you must acquire. Go through the above read once and you are all set to master the technique.
For more information on home improvement, visit HouseDecorationTip.